Surviving homeschool chaos
One of the most difficult things to come to terms with when you start homeschooling, is the chaos. Homeschool chaos can overwhelm you, while sucking the joy and light from each day. It can feel like there is no escape. Sounds rather dramatic, I know! But it’s something real. And until you learn to embrace homeschool chaos, you are not going to enjoy homeschooling at all! Below are a few tips for embracing and even thriving in the pandemonium:
- Get everybody involved. Homeschooling is the prefect opportunity to teach your kids how to do the washing or to cook. And they can help to take the pressure off the parents.
- Get organised. By reducing unnecessary stress, you’re going to ease the madness. You could do things like meal planning, creating a cleaning schedule, using a boxed curriculum or a homeschool organization app. Take the time to figure out what works for your family.
- Keep it simple. Don’t put too much pressure on yourself, in terms of homeschooling. Your kids are getting a lot more attention and learning opportunities than they would get at school. And simple, slow routines can be very effective.
- Let go of perfection. There are going to be crazy days when you feel like nothing has been done. It’s ok! Having a messy house, a day of watching TV or eating takeout are not the end of the world. Rather spend time being with your kids or take some time out for self care.
- Get out! If you feel like you’re going stir crazy, there is no better medicine than getting out of the house. A walk cures all, in my mind.
What are your tips for surviving homeschool chaos?