This post is definitely going to contain a list of quick self care activities. But it’s also going to include the mindset shifts that need to happen around self care as a working homeschool mom. Because often the reason we’re not getting enough, is because we don’t allow ourselves to have enough.
Contents of the Post
You ARE Allowed Self Care
I know when I started trying to include self care, I experienced a lot of guilt! I felt like I was taking valuable time away from my family. It wasn’t logical because I knew that I needed a break. But the most difficult feelings to overcome, rarely are logical, right?! But luckily, I got over this and started prioritizing time for myself.
If you’re in a season where you feel like you don’t deserve any time to recharge on your own, then I hope that you can take heart from someone who’s been through this too.
- The season will come to an end.
- You can start really small, until you feel less guilty.
- Practice does make it easier!
I Just Don’t Have Any Time!
Another issue that we face as working homeschool moms, is a crazy busy schedule! You know how I love to talk about time management because a schedule that’s well-managed means one that allows time for you too!
If you feel like you just don’t have a second to spare, then you might consider doing a time audit. And I can almost guarantee, that you’re doing things that could be replaced with self care.
- Could you spend a few minutes less on social media?
- Maybe deep cleaning the house every day isn’t necessary?
- Is it possible to batch cook on the weekend?
These are some of the things that I discovered could be substituted with runs along the beach and reading in a nice hot bath.
I am also very strict about scheduling in my self care. I think this is a vital part of self care success! Once it’s in my calendar, it’s nonnegotiable! It’s as important as any appointment or task that needs to be done!
Start Small with Quick Self Care Activities
Starting small is such a great way to achieve almost anything. It’s so easy to become overwhelmed by a big, ambitious goal! But break that goal down into smaller steps and it seems so much more manageable!
Self care is no different! By starting with just 5 minutes a day, you can begin to get a feel for what feels good. And you can do it without guilt! And once it becomes a habit, you can work on increasing the time.
Once you more time to dedicate to self care, have a look at these awesome activities you can do. I’d really love to take a self care trip myself!
Some Super Quick and Easy Ideas
Mental Self Care
- Take some deep breaths.
- Go outside and get some sun on your face.
- Write down a dream or goal you want to achieve.
- Read a chapter of a book you love.
- Listen to an inspiring podcast.
- Give yourself a pep talk in the mirror.
- Put on your favourite song and sing at the top of your lungs to it!
Physical Self Care
- Do a few yoga poses, concentrating on your neck or lower back.
- Do as many jumping jacks as you can in 5 minutes.
- Have a quick cold shower. It can really change your mood!
- Drink some water or a cup of herbal tea.
- Eat some fruit.
- Dance to a really upbeat song.
- Play with your dog.
- Leave your house and go sit alone somewhere alone.
These are just a few ideas to get you started. They are super quick but can do a lot to reset your mood. And once you feel ready, you can start include longer activities.