Night Zookeeper is Easy to Use and Engaging for Reluctant Writers
My children have always been reluctant writers. So as a working homeschool mom, this adds extra stress and time to my already busy schedule. When I came across the Night Zookeeper online Language Arts curriculum, I knew right away that this would work for us. Read on to see how this awesome program saves me times and engages my boys.
I received a free Night Zookeeper Membership and am being compensated for my time. I am not required to give a positive review so as always, I am sharing my honest opinion with you. This post also contains affiliate links. I get a small commission, at no extra cost to you, if you buy through my links. Each purchase is highly appreciated! Please read my full blog disclosure for more information.
What is Night Zookeeper?
In a nutshell, Night Zookeeper is an award-winning online Language Arts curriculum that encourages kids aged 6 to 12 to write through gamification, storytelling and creativity. Sounds awesome, right? Below are some features of the program:
- The program is full to the brim with a variety of cool activities, and kids move effortlessly through the platform with prompts and hints.
- It concentrates on teaching words, sentences and stories. So the program covers all aspects of writing and reading, while building a solid literacy foundation through this full Language Arts curriculum.
- Children can improve core writing skills with just 30 minutes a week. They also have the possibility to publish their writing!
- There are loads of cool extras, freebies and competitions to really keep kids engaged and motivated.
- The stories are so fun and help kids to practice all kinds of different writing styles and genres.
- Parents get a detailed parent’s guide, to help with getting started and to make the most of the platform.
What We Love about Night Zookeeper
In addition to having lots to do on any given day, my children have special needs. They are generally unwilling learners, so I always look for ways to engage and delight them.
It is with these two factors in mind that I judge how well something works for us as a homeschooling family. And Night Zookeeper ticks all the boxes!
For Me, as a Working Homeschool Mom
- My children can easily and safely navigate the platform, which means that I don’t have to be there when they’re using it. This also encourages independent learning, which is the first prize for a working homeschool mom!
- They are able to get feedback for their writing from tutors and other kids. This is awesome because it’s one less job for me to do. I also love how this encourages building relationships with other children, which is great for homeschooling families.
- There is a parent’s dashboard where I can see what the boys have been doing and what progress they’ve made. Once again, this means less teaching time for me and more independence for the boys.
For my Boys, who Have Special Needs
4. Night Zookeeper is incredibly engaging because it’s so personalized. My boys love the fact that they get to draw their own avatars and also their own animals.
5. As my kids are so reluctant, they need a lot of encouragement. The whole tone of the program is positive and friendly, and they really respond to this.
6. My boys didn’t need to take a placement test before starting. I do believe that these types of tests can be useful, but I like how adaptive the program is and also that fact that I can change their age myself, if necessary. They never feel discouraged because the work is too difficult for them.