Mr. D Math ASL II is an Awesome Self-Paced Homeschool ASL Curriculum
Learning ASL has been so fun for our family. And Mr. D Math’s ASL II self-paced homeschool ASL curriculum has been the perfect way to do this.
In this post I want to share what we love about learning ASL, as well as some of the super cool features Mr. D Math ASL II has. I’m sure it will convince you to give it a go too!
I received a free Mr. D Math ASL II Course and am being compensated for my time. I am not required to give a positive review so as always, I am sharing my honest opinion with you. This post also contains affiliate links. This means I may earn a commission should you choose to sign up for a program or make a purchase using my link. Each purchase is much appreciated by me and the companies I love! Please read my full blog disclosure.
Why Learn ASL?
There are many benefits to learning ASL, as with learning any other language besides what you speak at home. According to Lead with Languages, some of the benefits of learning a new language include:
- forging connections with others
- opening up career possibilities
- stimulating your grey matter
- and opening yourself up to the world.
Learning ASL, has all of the same benefits. But most importantly for me, is that my hearing children learn to communicate with the deaf and hard-of-hearing people. And in this way, they can help to build a community of understanding and acceptance.
ASL is deeply rooted in the Deaf Community and Culture. Studying ASL promotes better awareness of and sensitivity to the deaf and hard of hearing community. As someone proficient in ASL, you will develop a strong appreciation for deaf culture, and you can promote understanding and acceptance of the language among others.Why Is It Important to Learn American Sign Language (ASL)?
Why We’re Learning ASL
As I mentioned above, I love the fact that my children are learning to communicate with hard-of-hearing and deaf people. But learning ASL has other additional benefits for them.
As my children are neurodivergent, homeschooling can be tricky at the best of times. They tend to be pretty reluctant or even resistant to new subjects. But Mr. D Math ASL I and II, have engaged them from the start.
- They enjoy the movement and flow of the language. As kinesthetic learners, it suits their learning style.
- It’s been a second language that they can get on board with. We tried other second languages, but they were never really keen.
- The language and grammar are logical so my children can easily grasp and therefore remember signs
- Learning both ASL signs and fingerspelling, means that the boys have different ways to communicate. This is really helpful when they can’t remember a sign, for example.
View this post on Instagram
Why We’re Using Mr. D Math’s Self-paced Homeschool ASL Curriculum
Mr. D Math’s courses are always top-notch. We’ve taken a number of them like Mr. D Math ASL I and Mr. D Math Training Like an Olympic Runner. So when there was the opportunity to take Mr. D Math ASL II, we jumped on it!
There are so many features that we’ve enjoyed about the course. And I say we because I’m learning right alongside the boys! 😊
- The fact that it’s a self-paced homeschool ASL curriculum, means that we can move along at a speed that suits the boys. As neurodivergent homeschoolers, this is incredibly important for them. And it’s one of the main reasons we homeschool!
- Something else that helps to engage the kids, is a positive and upbeat teacher. Thia, who is a graduate from Gallaudet University, is a wonderful teacher. She’s cheerful, knowledgeable and always infuses fun into each lesson.
- The video lessons that Thia has recorded, are a very effective way to learn ASL. My children have always learnt best with video (yes, they’re visual learners too), so this course has worked really well for them.
- Even though the course is self-paced, it’s possible for kids to interact with their fellow students on Zoom. Thia has themed sessions where she does fun things like teaching kids to sign songs or make ASL Valentine’s card.
Do You Have Questions about Mr. D Math’s Self-paced Homeschool ASL Curriculum?
I know choosing a new programme can be overwhelming because you’re never sure if your kids are going to like it.. As someone who homeschools incredibly reluctant learners, you have the Charlotte Jones guarantee that they’ll enjoy Mr. D Math’s ASL I & II. 😉
But please feel free to reach out of you have any questions. I’d be happy to give you more information about this wonderful programme.